A young girl named Merida is Pixar's first female lead character in the gleefully Gaelic upcoming movie, Brave.
Brave Teaser Trailer
Brave Movie Trailer
Brave Movie Trailer #2MPAA Rating: PG, for some scary action and rude humor
Runtime: Approx. 95 minutes
Starring: Kelly Macdonald, Emma Thompson, Billy Connolly, Julie Walters, Kevin McKidd, Craig Ferguson, Robbie Coltrane
Directors: Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman
Release Date: June 22, 2012
Brave - Official Synopsis
Since ancient times, stories of epic battles and mystical legends have been passed through the generations across the rugged and mysterious Highlands of Scotland. In Brave, a new tale joins the lore when the courageous Merida (voice of Kelly Macdonald) confronts tradition, destiny and the fiercest of beasts.
Merida is a skilled archer and impetuous daughter of King Fergus (voice of Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (voice of Emma Thompson). Determined to carve her own path in life, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the uproarious lords of the land: massive Lord MacGuffin (voice of Kevin McKidd), surly Lord Macintosh (voice of Craig Ferguson) and cantankerous Lord Dingwall (voice of Robbie Coltrane). Merida’s actions inadvertently unleash chaos and fury in the kingdom, and when she turns to an eccentric old Wise Woman (voice of Julie Walters) for help, she is granted an ill-fated wish. The ensuing peril forces Merida to discover the meaning of true bravery in order to undo a beastly curse before it’s too late.
Movie tagline: "Change Your Fate."
Brave: Clips and Featurettes
- Brave Spoof: Kilt
- Brave Spoof: Choose
- Brave Featurette: Merida
Related Activities and Info for Kids
Scotland is one of those far off places that is full of mystery. The land enjoys a rich heritage and wonderful folklore that has been handed down for ages, and it will be fun to see a Pixar story animate the beautiful Scottish Highlands and bring a new story to life. In anticipation of the new story, here are some fun ways kids can learn about Scotland and other movie elements:
- Brave - Fun and Educational Arts, Crafts, and Activities for Kids and Families
- Lesson plans, information and activities to learn about Scotland
- View photo galleries of the Highlands of Scotland on VisitScotland.com
- Scotish Activities and Crafts for Kids
- Read a few Scottish Fairy & Folk Tales. (These stories are for all ages, so preview before kids read them.)
- Watch The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep. This live action film tells the story of Angus, a young Scottish boy who finds an enchanted egg. The movie is rated PG, and a few scenes may be scary for very young children. Follow the link to read a review for parents of this magical, emotional and funny film for kids.