Genre: Kids comedy
Network: Disney Channel
Premiere date: Sunday, February 8, 2009 (8:00 p.m. ET/PT)
Sonny with a Chance - Overview
Allison "Sonny" Munroe (Demi Lovato) may be a Midwestern girl at heart, but she can make it anywhere, right? After posting some of her homemade comedy videos online, she is discovered by a real television producer and gets the opportunity of a lifetime -- a chance to star in So Random!, the most popular sketch comedy series for kids and tweens. Sonny and her mother relocate to sunny California, but when she meets the rest of the So Random! cast, she learns that things are not going to be all roses.
Sonny's fellow cast member Tawni Hart sees Sonny as a major threat, and her jealously can make her pretty mean. Not only that, but there is also a bitter rivalry between the cast of So Random! and that of MacKenzi Falls, a tween drama filmed on the stage adjacent to So Random!. Sonny and her fellow cast members constantly have to contend with tween heartthrob Chad Dylan Cooper and the rest of the drama snobs. Sonny is determined not to let these challenges get in the way of her dream come true, though, and the optimistic funny girl from Wisconsin surprises everyone with how well she can hold her own.
Sonny with a Chance - CastDemi Lovato as Allison "Sonny" Munroe
Tiffany Thornton as Tawni Hart
Sterling Knight as Chad Dylan Cooper
Brandon Mychal Smith as Nico Harris
Doug Brochu as Grady Mitchell
Allisyn Ashley Arm as Zora Lancaster
Sonny with a Chance – Guide Review
Sonny with a Chance creates comedy for kids on two levels: each episode features comedy skits from the show within a show, So Random!, and the rest of the episode portrays the comedic off-stage interactions between the cast members of So Random!. Often the episodes also include cast members of the rival show, MacKenzie Falls. The show is very typical Disney in that much of the humor comes from sarcastic banter between characters; however, Sonny with a Chance actually offers kids a bit of creative humor with the skits from So Random!.
Characters on Sonny with a Chance are often sarcastic to each other and put each other down. The jabs are usually in the name of humor, though, and are not usually too mean or inappropriate. Much of the back and forth between Sonny and co-star Tawni stems from Tawni’s desire for the spotlight and her feelings of jealousy.
Demi Lovato stars as “Sonny,” the main character in the show, and her performances are key to the series’ success. Sonny carries the show, and the other characters seem to be there for the sole purpose of supporting her role. A strong young woman with a lot of spunk, Sonny presents a positive role model for kids. She is kind, considerate, and optimistic, but when pushed beyond a reasonable point, she has no problem standing up for herself. Sonny’s resourcefulness and wit make her great at comedy and improv, and it is these same qualities that also see her though when she’s in a jam.
The show explores topics and themes that are relevant to kids, but it doesn’t go very deep. Many plot lines deal with fitting in or being liked, and there is often light content surrounding boy-girl relationships and crushes.
Sonny with a Chance - Themes and Topics to Discuss
- Jealousy and rivalries are the backbone of many of the plot points in Sonny with a Chance episodes. Why do people get jealous of each other? What kinds of behaviors are motivated by jealousy? Why do people so often feel a need to be better than others?
- Just like Sonny -- who had talent but was suddenly discovered through a comedy skit she uploaded -- dreams seem to come true with a combination of hard work and events that are "so random." On the show, she fails at times, but she keeps trying new things. What is the value of working hard and trying to achieve your dreams? How can trying many different avenues for achieving success help give us a better chance for achieving our goals?
Sonny with a Chance - DVDs
Sonny with a Chance: Sonny's Big Break: The debut DVD of Sonny with a Chance contains five episodes total, along with a couple of bonus features that kids are going to love:Episodes:
- "Sketchy Beginnings"
- "West Coast Story"
- "Cheater Girls
- "Sonny at the Falls"
- Bonus episode: "Sonny in the Middle"
- "Demi's Big Break": Granted the feature is short, but fans will likely enjoy seeing a few clips from Demi Lovato's audition for Sonny with a Chance. Watching the feature gives a glimpse of what auditions are like, so it's also great for young kid who want to audition for something themselves some day.
- "Mackenzie Falls Season Finale Cliffhanger Short": This hilarious little short makes fun of TV drama with a few scenes featuring Chad Dylan Cooper (Sterling Knight) playing his heartthrob role on Mackenzie Falls, the rival show of That's So Random.